When it is a shirt, skirt, court and any other type of dress with the buttons, all the sewers should have to stitch the varied numbers of buttons correctly and strongly. Some of the beginners don’t know how to stitch the buttons on their finished clothes. Here are the simple and professional steps suggested by the experts to stitch the buttons easily and quickly.
All you need:
The following are the essential ingredients you need for sewing the buttons of the shirts, court and other types of clothing. They include,
- Needle (1 or 2) – You need any type of basic sewing needle but slimmer is the better choice for stitching the buttons.
- Buttons – It is always suggested choosing the original and high quality buttons for your expensive shirts for having longer life. The sewers can go for two holes or four holes buttons according to the type of clothing you are going to use.
- Thread – You will actually need about 12 inches to do the entire process of sewing the buttons. If you are doubling the threads, it is required to choose 12 inches. The double threads while the sewing process of the buttons will be really great to easily put the knot and it is little bit stronger than single thread. It is recommended using the thread which is exactly matching the color of the garment but in the black, pinch or navy colors are pleasant for each and every cloth.
- Cutting tool – The sewers require knife, scissors or something which is very sharp to cut the excess thread after stitching the buttons.
When you are travelling and in immediate need of sewing any button on your cloth when you don’t have these kinds of items, don’t worry because there are emergency sewing kit available in the shops with all necessities.
How to stitching the button:
If possible, it is suggested to take off your clothing from your body to easily and quickly sew the button.
- Thread your needle and knot the end – When you have 24 inches with the double threads, you have to insert it in the thread and put the knot by leaving equal amounts on both the sides. Instead of 24 inches thread, you can also go for the 12 inches thread to work with your buttons.
- Create anchor X point – You have to start stitching at the back side of the cloth and run your needle through to the front portion where you need to attach the button. At the point of this X, your button will be centered.
- Position the button – The sewers have to put your button on the anchor X point and start stitching by pushing your needle from back to front via the first button hole.
- Make the shank – On the last repetition of the preceding step, you have to come back through the fabric but not through the button to finish your sewing process.
- Tie it off – At the end, you have to put the tie on the back side of your clothing to make your buttons stronger enough to use.
Many people have a dream of becoming a greater sewer to do any kind of sewing projects and stitch any design of clothing. When you are a beginner, it is always essential to learn the best ways to do the different types of sewing projects using your friendly sewing machine. The sewing machine is the best friend of the sewer and it is also the best companion to be with you at all the times. Even though you are a beginner or an expert sewer, it is highly necessary to make use of these following techniques and tips in order to make the best out of sewing projects to show your expertise in the stitching.
Development of sewing projects:
In today’s modern world, the beginner sewers actually have many more options to do the various stitching projects. Additionally, there are different sized pattern catalogs from the leading pattern companies for guiding the newbies to make the different types of sewing projects using the tutorials and blogs. For the beginners, there are several numbers of best and independent shops available to purchase your sewing related projects.
At the similar time, you can also attend the classes both offline and online from the expert and professional sewers who already have several years of experience in this field. Now days, the sewing world has extensive amounts of options to do the best in class projects for your stitching needs. From among the various options, you must have to pick a right choice of simple project at the beginning. Then, you can go to the moderate to the different styling clothing projects in order to show your sewing abilities.
Pick your project according to the skills:
Here are some of the simple tips for the newbies who would like to select the best sewing project for their skills.
- First of all, you have to learn at least a single new stitching skill with every project. The beginners need to gradually build your skill over time. At the same time, it is really the greatest way to do that is to concentrate on learning something truly new with every project which you are going to try. It is like the self assignments to the sewers to make yourself expertise in doing all types of sewing projects. For this purpose, it is highly necessary to require some of the advanced research and planning to make your sewing skills strong at all.
- The sequence for a true beginner – In order to make the best sewing projects at the beginning stage, everybody should have to learn the different skills to make a pillow, Sorbetto top, Sorbetto of another size, laurel, ginger and macaron. When you are gradually doing these different types of projects, everyone can easily learn different important things and options regarding the different types of sewing projects.
- It is suggested to do a lot of researches on the different types of sewing methods in order to become the sewing detective by picking innovative projects.
As a professional sewer, everyone should need to know calculating method to find the thread usage for the particular clothing. Using only the mathematics, it is little bit difficult to find how much amounts of thread you need for a specific cloth. This is why it is highly recommended to use the reliable guide with the chart of the different thread colors you need for stitching. At the same time, different stitching styles, wastage and also the tensions due to the pulling out and also rework all add to the end result.
Start estimating thread usage:
In order to get the information on how much thread will be used for the clothing, you need to follow these steps including,
- First of all, you have to start by using two ply and also stitching the 10 x 10 area on your selected material. It is no matter how many stitches to the inch you are working. It is better calculating the thread usage with how may stitches you are going to make per inch. It will totally generate hundred stitches.
- In the next step, you have to look at the straightforward length of floss already used. For example, if it was 25 inches, every stitch will take 25/100 inches = 0.25 inches of floss on average. This measurement is assuming the ideal stitching and there is no waste. It is basically the inches per stitch value. It is the common thread usage measurement for the 100 inches. You can start the whole calculation by multiplying that by the amount of stitches of the specific color in your chart. At the same time, you have to probably increase some of the measurement to the account for the cut ends, wastage, rework and etc.
Guide to calculate the thread usage:
According to the different factors including style of the clothing, length, additional style preferences and all other needs of the clothing, the thread consumption will be varied from one cloth to another. When the individuals are in need of calculating the amount of thread consumption in the particular clothing, there are generally two methods available such as,
- By measuring the real amount of the thread consumed
- Through the calculation using the thread consumption ratios
In order to make the measurement of actual thread consumption, first of all you have to find the specific length of the thread and calculate its ratio regarding the thread consumed in the total closure/seam. You can get the thread consumption ratio by actually dividing the amount of used thread by the closure or seam length.
When you are multiplying this factor times with the total seam length, you can easily determine the overall thread consumption for the clothing. Commonly in all types of clothing, 10 to 15 % of thread will be wasted due to the different conditions like thread breakage, machine running, repairs and etc. By following this simple procedure, you can easily calculate the actual thread consumption for the various stitching operations in the clothes.
Whether you are running a garment factory with the several numbers of sewing machines or you have a single sewing machine for your personal use, proper maintenance is really very important to everyone. At many instances, your machine will get faults and go down in the performance of stitching. Maximum number of faults with your factory or home based sewing machine are arise based on the quality of clothing you are going to stitch on. There are commonly 8 types of sewing faults occurred in most of the cases and there are easy ways to find such faults to simply recover back your machine to get the best running condition.
General sewing machine faults:
The different types of problems arise with your sewing machine during a process of stitching the clothes include,
- Unbalance stitch
- Skipped stitches
- Variable stitch density
- Staggered stitch
- Needle thread breakage
- Seam puckering
- Thread fusing when your sewing machine stops
- Bobbin or looper thread breakage
When you are experiencing the skipped stitches, you can find this fault by checking out the hook or looper. If there is any failure of looper or hook and the needle to enter into the loop at the correct time, this skipped stitches fault will occur. At this situation, you can examine the timing and setting between the looper or hook and the needle. If there is incorrect tension of the sewing thread, you will get the fault of unbalance stitch. The sewers can easily discover this fault by examining the sewing thread tension. In order to get rid of this problem, you have to change the thread tension settings in a proper manner. Staggered stitch fault will happen due to the deflection of the needle or wrong needle point. To find this fault, everyone is suggested to check out the size of your needle. If it is found that needle deflection is a cause, you can change the size of the needle otherwise you have to completely change the new needle to get the best stitches.
Other faults to find with remedies:
During the sewing process, you will get the variable stitch density fault due to the incorrect unwinding of the thread. Once you have found this fault, first you have to change the position of the thread guide which has to be 2.5 times higher than the thread package position. In most of the causes, the sewers can’t find a cause for the seam puckering fault experienced with their sewing machine. When you are getting this problem, you can examine the thread tension in your machine. If there is higher thread tension, then you have to lower it to get the correct stitches. Thread breakage problem in the looper or bobbin will be occurred because of the wrong winding of threads on the bobbin or higher tension to the threads in the bobbin. To solve this fault, the sewers should have to correct the proper wining of threads and adjust to the bobbin threads.
Different people are dealing with the various problems and struck with their sewing machines often because of the various issues. If you have a problematic sewing machine at home and looking for the steps to fix your broken sewing machine, here are the necessary steps and tips suggested by the experts. Even though you have purchased a sewing machine with the good running condition, it would stitch the cloth well in one minute and give you unwanted problems in the next minute. Some of the sewing machine users often get this experience of broken sewing machine and some of them are not getting it frequently. Once you have corrected a problem, it will start running fine for only shorter period of time but not for long.
Fixing broken sewing machine:
Sometimes, the sewing machine will get the problems to seem broken so that everyone is highly recommended to learn how to fix the problems of your sewing machine. The following are the different sewing machine problems and the regarding solutions to fix them.
- The locked up sewing machine – When the users are sewing the different clothes for a long time, your sewing machine will get sudden break down and you hear a clunk like sound. At the same time, you can get 3 beep sounds along with the humming sound while the needle stops moving. It is occurred mainly due to the dispositioning of the needles during the longer time of usage. At this situation, the sewers are highly recommended to gently push the pedal foot again to remove something below in the downward bobbin area. Then, you have to turn the hand wheel both backward and forward slightly to correct it.
- Bobbin not wind correctly – According to the type and size of the machine, you have to put the correct and suitable type of bobbin in the bobbin case. When you are using the inappropriate bobbin in your machine, it will quickly lock up anytime and give you many problems during the sewing activities. At this time, you should need to take out bobbin and put it on the winder shaft in order to wind more thread onto it.
Other sewing machine fixing solutions:
- Thread continued breaking and coming out of machine needle – When the sewers are encountering this problem, first you have to look at the bobbin area in order to make sure whether everything is perfect or not. You have to re-thread the machine needle and put the bobbin to the normal position to try again.
- Machine is running but needle wouldn’t move – After re-threading your machine, sometimes you will get this most common problem with your sewing machine. At this situation, you have to put a pressure foot down. If it is not good, you can move a pressure foot up and down again to readjust the pressure of the needle for making it properly move from both the bobbin and the additional thread to make the stitches on the clothes.